Weighted Tail and Tail Top Info
We offer a full line of adjustable and removable weighted tails!
Weighted tail extensions are our specialty, a great alternative to achieve the sought after look for competition.
Reconditioning can be done on most tails.
Tail Extensions are available in a variety of "tops":
- Slide - A small section of the real tail is braided and inserted into the hole of the tail extension - please reach out to us to request this type of tail.
- 2 Loops - This is the most popular top version and how our tail extensions come as a standard. 2 loops are mounted at the top of the tail extension to braid into the real tail. We can also offer just one loop but that is only recommended for non weighted tail extensions. Note - Please see images as these are not "braiders loop" tail extensions.
Braiding in your Tail Extension2 Loops Tail Extension (most common)
- Find your desired length by going up or down on the tail bone so that the tail extension is at the proper distance from the ground where it will not be stepped on. At that point on the tail bone, make 3 6" braids straight across from one another and at least as thick as the loops on top of the tail extension.
- Pull right braid through right loop on tail extension from outside of the loop to the middle. Pull left braid through left loop from the outside to the middle. Use the middle braid as your third braid and braid them tightly together so they hold the tail extension against the tail bone.
- Pull the braid back between the 2 loops on the tail extension so the braid is now on the back side of the tail extension. To help take the strain off of the loops, lift up the tail extension and put matching color electrical tape around the rubber top and the braid to secure.
- Your tail extension is 100% horse hair to comply with breed association rules. When you receive it, it has been washed and conditioned and ready to be used!
- If weighted, it is recommended to remove the weights if storing for long periods of time - especially in the hot months. A tail sock and bag are also recommended when storing for the hair's protection.
- If you have purchased a "Double" tail extension, it is imperative that you dry the under tail after washing because of the thickness. If the under tail is not dry, the hair (especially the whiter/flaxen hair) can become fragile and break/shed due to mildew and humidity from moisture, especially if stored inside a hot trailer.
- It is best not to wash the top 1/2 portion of the tail extension to keep moisture from getting trapped near the epoxy and weakening the glue and thus creating hair loss.
- It is quite possible that your tail extension will shed at first, this is completely normal and due to the individual length of the hair during the building process.
- If you purchased a dyed black tail extension, you might see some dye at first when washing which will subside and is completely normal.
- It is recommended to use Dawn dish detergent as needed to remove grease, sweat and other chemicals within the hair, especially in the hot months. We also use Suave and similar shampoo and conditioner for regular washing.